Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Ok, so I'm currently reading this INCREDIBLE book (well, technically I'm listening to it on Audible)!!! For some reason I have a real stubborn streak - when I hear a ton of people talking about something, I always feel like a follower if I jump on the bandwagon. That's what happened with this book. Also happened with Facebook, which I finally joined, and now am officially obsessed with. :)

So anyway, I didn't want to read it because:
1. It looked really boring. Who wants to read a book about how to build a cathedral??
2. I had a ton of people reco this book to me, but no one went into detail about why they liked it. Hence the bandwagon syndrome I mentioned earlier.
3. It looked really boring.

I admit it - I judge a book by it's cover.

Now I'm just over halfway through, and I can't stop listening! It has all the great elements of a classic! Bodice-ripping heroines vs. corrupt knights! Evil Priest vs. Good Priest! The struggle for survival! True Love! Alcoholics! Family drama! Curses! Witches! The Devil! God!

Pillars of the Earth really is a great book so far - it combines great writing with a KILLER story. So far.... one hell of a book!

What do you think? Comment away! Have you read it? Planning on reading it? Anything you want to know about it so far?

4 comments:

Natasha said...

No way! Ok so many people have said read this but I have been stuck on the boredom thing...it looks so boring BUT you might have just convinced me...I'm reading Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos right now have you read it??

BookWormz said...

I haven't!! Is it good? I love new books... I'm obsessed.

Ok, like I said - it looked really boring, but it is SOOO not what you think it is! Its like a really well-written soap opera set in the 1800s or something! Its awesome!!! How is Belong to Me?

Monica said...

Brian loved it, but I had a hard time getting through it. We have the second book & you can borrow it when you're read.

BookWormz said...

Really? I can't believe you weren't in love with it!!

I'll def. take you up on the sequel offer when I get there!