Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Currently reading, and thoughts about:

So I'm going to start a weekly feature to encourage myself to talk about BOOKS more! Because I LOVE them, and I want to make sure I'm thinking them through, rather than just devouring them! :)
1. Pillars of the Earth - still reading it (weeeeell, listening to it, anyway), and I'm on the final segment of the book. It's honestly starting to get a little long (I don't know what I expected from a 40 hour listen). I think it's been a fascinating tale, and very easy to follow. I'm not really able to draw many parallels between the story and my life, however, since it is all so very fantastic in their world.

2. In the Woods - AMAZING. I love how complex the characters are and how the story is unfolding inch by inch. The main character, Detective Ryan, is someone who is relatable, loveable, flawed, and rapidly spiraling out of control. Circumstances in his life are circling around each other like wolves, just waiting to pounce all at one time. Also, a new twist has just been revealed, which literally made me stay up until 12:30 last night, heart pounding, unable to put the book down. I then had to Etsy for 10 minutes so I wasn't afraid to go to bed. :)

3. Spin - this book is great so far. Its Sci-Fi, but is truly relatable. Interestingly, I find myself thinking about our present state of uncertainty relating to the economy. I'm just at the beginning of the book at this point, and the characters are in suspense, waiting to find out what recent changes in the world mean to them. The line that truly struck me so far was this: "So how do you build a life under the threat of extinction? The Question defined our generation.". I know, heavy stuff for a rainy Wed. Tawk amongst yourselves. ;)

7 comments:

The Silver Dog said...

I need to read more! Can you suggest any good non fiction books?

BookWormz said...

YES! I love Devil in the White City!!! Its a non-fiction that reads like a novel. My favorite non-fiction.

The Silver Dog said...

I'll have to check that out :) Thanks for the suggestion...may have to purchase a bookwormz to keep my place :)

BookWormz said...

haha! :) Please do! ;)

Angela said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pillars of the Earth. There's a sequel, you know?

I would also recommend Devil in the White City to The Silver Dog - there's also another one, Thunderstruck, which is in my TBR pile!

BookWormz said...

Yes - Pillars of the Earth is AWESOME! I have seen the sequel, I just haven't picked it up yet. I'm really loving SPIN and IN THE WOODS right now. I keep staying up too late to finish In the Woods.... I can't wait to see what happens!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved Pillars of the Earth too -- read it a long time ago though, might be time for a re-read!