Thursday, February 19, 2009

What was your favorite childhood book?

Mine was Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I had the hardback book, and I probably read it somewhere between 150 and 900 times. I loved getting lost in Toad Hollow, and following the shenanigans of Toad, Mole, Rat and Badger. My Mom and Dad built me a window seat in my little bedroom when I was a kid - it had a cute little cushion and curtains that I could pull across the opening for privacy (all lovingly sewn by my Mom). I loved that window seat! :)


So what was your favorite childhood book? What did you love about it? Have you read it to YOUR kids?

7 comments:

Miss Kim said...

I don't remember what books I loved as a small small child, but I do remember as a young girl reading "The Secret Garden", written by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and "Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell. I read them over and over. I have an autographed copy of "Island of the Blue Dolphins."

Both books were favorites because no matter how many times I read them, they carried me away enough to forget my surroundings. It was always a little startling to come out of the 'daze' of being so caught up in the story!

BookWormz said...

I know what you mean! :)

I LOVED the Secret Garden too, and Anne of Green Gables, and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and Little Women.... the list goes on... :)

Lady Farrah's by Locklear said...

I don't know why, but I absolutely loved The BFG (which stands for "Big Friendly Giant") written by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake. My imagination just ran wild as I read!!

BookWormz said...

Oh my gosh, me too! Love Roald Dahl, Beatrix Potter, Can't remember off the top of my head who wrote "Are You There God, It's me Margaret"... loved the Sweet Valley High books too! Baby Sitters Club... I'm not kidding, I could go on forever... :)

The Silver Dog said...

The Secret Garden, Romona, Box Car Kids & all of the Laura Ingell Wilder books. I think I read all of them

Janet Barrow said...

Charlotte's Web was my favorite. It is the first chapter book that I can remember anyone reading to me.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites was The Little Princess. I just gave it to a 9-year-old girl and she LOVED it...so it's still a winner!